The Forsythe *House* Saga...Continued

Thursday, October 23, 2014

Following on from my first post about our housing hunting sagas I thought I would bring you up to date on where we currently are.

I left off by telling you about the house which we nearly bought, but pulled out once we received the feedback from the survey. After this we were both pretty disappointed and really didn't feel like having to go back to the start and begin searching again. But we now had the equity money from our current house sitting in our bank and therefore a higher monthly mortgage to pay, so, even though we didn't want to, we knew we had to continue the search ASAP.

As it turned out, the day we decided to pull out from that house another house came on the market which I thought had potential and I rang the estate agent that day to arrange a viewing - that evening! Robin and I set off to view this house and on first impressions we really liked it. It was empty and had recently been given a bit of a make-over, with a new kitchen, bathroom and fresh paint in every room. But the more we looked around it, the more we realized that it was actually a really small house. The thing was that we could see the potential in it (attic conversion maybe? Side extension?) but at an asking price of £160,000 (and the estate agent telling us that the owners were really looking for £175,000*) we didn't think we would have enough spare cash to do the renovations we thought necessary to make it suitable for us.

So we left and called in to see a friend who lived down the road (the friend who had got us in touch with the owners of the house across the road from them - who then changed their minds about wanting to sell) to catch up and update them on our house saga. They mentioned that they had just been contacted their other neighbors across the road (NEXT DOOR to the house that we nearly had and then lost!) who were interested in selling and did we want to have a look? They told us that the house was pretty dated and quite small and the owners currently lived in Jordan, using the place as a Summer house. To be honest, I wasn't too keen. We had just come from a house that was too small and I was having reservations. But at this stage we thought there was of course no harm in having a look. So we arranged to come back the next evening to see it.

As soon as I walked through the door my feelings changed from totally not interested to 'wow'. It was so much nicer than our friends had described. Yes it was small, and to some it would seem dated, but to us it had a lovely 'cottage' feel to it. It's a three bed semi-detached house with a small kitchen extension to the back, and the biggy - a garage! The garden is small and East facing, so we wouldn't get the sun in the evening, but to be honest, I think that is the only issue we have with the place. The front living room is so cute, with a lovely log burner (top photo), and the house has lovely little period features including original doors and trims. It is small, but we see potential in extending the kitchen and doing an attic conversion (to perhaps create a master bedroom with en-suite) which would make it more than comfortable. And with the owners asking £135,000, we know we would have enough excess cash to do this straight away (although we might need to live on beans on toast for a while afterwards!).

So we have agreed the sale with them and are in the process of buying! BUT - we are trying not to get too excited, we have been here before and it has fallen through...so we have to stay calm and just see how things pan out. The survey was due to happen this week, and we are waiting to hear back from that, but have had nothing yet. Our solicitors are exchanging documents and contracts and the owner is keen to close the sale at the end of November (as are we). So if all goes to plan (er - when does that ever happen?!) we could be in for Christmas!

But - we shall just have to wait and see. I will keep you updated.


*By the way - don't always believe what estate agents tell you - we were being sold the story that this house was in high demand and likely to go for over £175,000 and that if we were interested we would have to put an offer in quickly for that amount - it has been a month and a half since then and the house is still on the market!



You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. Looks like such a cute place! I hope you get it and I can't wait see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, we are keeping our fingers crossed!!

      Delete
  2. Gosh, this definately sounds like "the house". I love the fireplace and the stove, and shall have everything crossed that this works out - you deserve it after all the trouble you've had!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lynne - I have everything crossed as well!

      Delete
  3. This one looks, and sounds, charming!! Fingers crossed for you!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really feel for you - my husband and I have been trying to buy a house for a year and a half now. The first one fell through because we got gazzumped, the second one fell through because the seller RAN AWAY. Like, literally just... ran away... and the now we're days away from completing and exchanging on the third one, after a six month process of trying to renew the lease. It's an absolute nightmare to buy a house. We'll get there though, won't we? I've got my fingers crossed for you!

    Owl Girl | A London lifestyle blog

    ReplyDelete

Follow by Email

Featured post

Chalkboard Roll-Up Mat Tutorial

Subscribe